Sunday, 4 February 2018
Puran Poli is a Maharashtrians recipe made mainly during Ganesh Chaturthi. Puran Poli is a roti stuffed with chana dal and jaggery. We can make the outer covering with whole wheat flour or maida. So, let’s get started to prepare our Puran Poli.
Whole Wheat flour- 3 cup
Chana dal- 2cup
Jaggery- 1 ½ cup
Ginger powder- 1 tsp
Cardamom powder- 1 tsp
Saunf- 2 tsp
Salt as needed (Optional)
Ghee or oil for frying
Water for kneading the flour or as required.
Preparation time: 20 min
Cook time: 25 min
Total time: 45-50 min
Preparing our puran:
1) Rinse the chana dal in running water very well. You can soak the chana dal for 30 min or an hour before boiling. I have not soaked the dal, so boiled it in a cooker with a pressure of 5-6 whistle. If soaked, reduce the cooking time.
2) Once the pressure settles down on its own, strain the cooked dal in a strainer. Mash it with a masher or you can grind coarsely in a mixer.
3) In a pan or kadai, add the jaggery, dal, cardamom powder, ginger powder and mix well. Cook stir it till dry. Remove and let it cool.
Preparing our dough:
1)Take the whole wheat flour or maida in a bowl, add salt (Optional), and knead it into a soft dough with water.
2) Cover it and let it rest for 15 min.
For preparing puran poli:
1) Take one ball of dough, flatten it, and roll it into 3-4 inch diameter circle.
Put the chana dal stuffing inside and roll into 5-6 inch diameter circle of medium thickness. Use dry flour to make rolling easy.
2) Now heat the tawa or skillet on medium flame to fry the Puran Poli.
3) Fry them on hot tawa using oil of ghee till both sides gave golden brown spots. Do this with all the balls of dough.
4) Our Puran Poli is ready to serve. Serve hot with pure ghee on it and tea.