Tori (Ridge gourd) and Soya Chunks
A Ridge gourd also commonly known as tori or turai is a well beloved in India. Tori and soya chunks combination is awesome. I just love the juicy soya chunks in tauri. Lets start to cook with simple and delicious tauri and soya chunks sabji.
Tauri or tori –Half kg
Soya chunks- 2 cups
Onion- 3 (Diced chopped)
Garlic- 8-10 (Crushed in mortar)
Tomatoes- 2 (Finely chopped)
Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
Haldi or Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
Red chilli powder- 1 tsp
Coriander powder- 1 tsp
Garam Masala- 1 tsp (Optional)
Chopped Fresh coriander
Preparation time- 5 min
Cook time 15 min
Total time- 20 min
1) Rinse soya chunks 2-3 times under tap and soak the chunks in water with little salt for half an hour.
2) Scrape the ridges off the guard with the help of a sharp knife, don’t need to peel it off completely, wash it. Now chop (ridge gourd) tori in bite size pieces.
3) Heat oil in a pan or kadai add crushed garlic and jeera, add diced chopped onion, saute for a minute. Add chopped tomatoes, add all masalas (Haldi, red chilli powder, corriander powder, garam masala) and salt to taste. Saute until tomatoes become soft and are mashed.
4) Add chopped tori, squeeze chunks to remove excess water with the hands and put it in the kadai, let it cook for 4-5 minutes with the covered lid till tori becomes tender.
5) Garnish it with Fresh coriander. Our tori with soya chunks is ready to serve with roti or parantha.
Note or Tips:
1) Remember not to peel the skin of ridge gourd because it contains lot of vitamins and gives more taste.
2) Soak soya chunks with little salt for half an hour in water or in boiling water for 10 min-15 min.